Please note this recipe should be baked with adult supervision at all times.
For the caramel orange topping:
1 cup of sugar
6 tbsp water
½ cup butter
1. Put the sugar and water into a pan and heat until the sugar starts to melt and goes golden brown.
2.Take the pan off the heat and add in the butter.
3. Pour the caramel into a well greased cake tin.
4. Slice up 2 oranges in circles and lay them out on the caramel.
For the sponge:
½ cup of butter
1 cup sugar
2 cups plain flour
1 cup buttermilk (if you don’t have butter milk make it with 1 cup of milk and 1 tsp white vinegar or lemon juice)
1tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
Zest of 1 orange
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time.
3. Mix the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together in a bowl.
4. Alternately add the dry ingredients (flour) and buttermilk into the mixture and stir well.
5. Add the vanilla essence and orange zest and stir well.
6. Pour the cake batter over the top of the orange and caramel in the cake tin.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 175c for 35-40 minutes until a skewer is clean.